Destruction of the closet

In the last few days I have made the next step in Jens and me’s plan. I destroyed the closet in my bunk to get the hardware that kept us from traveling to the Azores. It wasn't that easy, because the furniture is solidly built and not particularly easy to repair. It feels more like a smartphone to me, the manufacturer of which is careful to ensure that no one can open it or even repair it.

Reason for the permanent stay in Aruba

A hundred miles after we left, that fog broke and made us turn back. Fortunately, the mast stayed up, so I couldn't imagine what would have happened if both sides had been torn off. I need new fittings. But in Aruba you can't buy it in stores, a specialist has to make it for me. To do this, however, I have to expand it first. If I look with my fingers, I can find the anchor in the GRP laminate. But I can't find any nuts that I could loosen. Did the manufacturer really build it that way?

This is what the closet should look like when I put it back together.

The first step is to establish the ability to work. This includes moving to the Marina Varadero as well as buying a car. I am mobile and can drive to the hardware store. Or to the dealer for boat supplies. And of course Soraida. The second step is also done, Jens flew home and left an empty bunk for me. So I can move everything from my side to his side. I am not wondering how much fits in these cabinets. What can be seen in the picture is just half of it. The other half is in the forward berth.

Cabinet content

Why are the books in the closet? I don't have a bookcase in my bunk, the books are all stored in the forward bunk. Except for the wedge books. On the way from Cuba to Aruba (or was it the other way around?) The electric autopilot setpoint device fell from its position on top of the closet. That didn't improve its functionality. Sissi behaved strangely, the troubleshooting has brought the setpoint generator to light. But it couldn't be screwed properly at sea, so I wedged it in place with books. With the wedge books. Now I'm going to screw it tight.

Setpoint adjuster of the autopilot

After clearing out the closet and distributing its contents across the boat, I get down to disassembling it. It's easy to do at first. It is clear which bar I have to dismantle in order to get to the next bar. Screw by screw work my way to the goal.

Emptied. The aim is to make the area behind the panel in the upper row of shelves accessible. To the right of the window.

The workflow comes to a standstill. I can no longer find a way to unscrew the boards. At this point I start ranting about the ease of repair. The individual parts are glued and dismantling is not intended. I have to use brute force. It is getting loud. With the hammer and a narrow wedge I can separate board by board. At some point I succeed with the last board, the lower end of the broken fitting is accessible.

Finished!

This is the end of my first day at work. I need a shower and shower time ends at 5pm. Then the gate of the area of the marina where the boats are dry and where the shower is located will be locked.

Arrived at the goal

There is not much to do on the next working day. First of all, the backstay has to be detached from the fitting. I temporarily tie it to the tail cleat with a rope. The mast stands fine even without a backstay, as long as it doesn't have to carry sails. Then I can loosen the nuts.

This is what it looks like under the fitting.

The nuts are surprisingly easy to loosen. As if they weren't really tight. This is probably not necessary as long as the train is on the backstay. After assembling the spare part, however, I make it a little stronger. They will certainly loosen up again on their own. I think about the accessibility from the inside and plan to convert the closet.

He lost. The culprit.

I will order two of these fittings and also destroy the closet on Jens' side. I get a visitor in the evening. More precisely, I lure the visitor to my boat with a few treats. The sweet cat from Paul, the owner of the marina, runs his evening round on the jetty. I can't resist that. I've already fed it a couple of times, and now I can touch it too. But that's not why I'm unfaithful to Shrimp, Sunchi, Socks and Swa.

Sweet boat hangover

After work is done, dusk feels particularly good. An important item on my repair checklist is ticked off. Now there are only 99 more points. The open points are the ongoing flow of water in the forward berth, which no longer takes place through the windows, but is still too much. The likely location of the action is a leaky stanchion. The electric bilge pump with the gooseneck at the outlet. Or I'll put in a check valve if I can get one. I don't even want to think about what else needs to be done here. I have enough time.

evening atmosphere

One Reply to “Zerstörung des Wandschranks”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *